Nine Types Of Popular House Plants That Are Dangerous To Your Pets

Adding a little greenery to your home is a quick and affordable way to brighten up your home, especially during the holiday season. However, many common houseplants can be dangerous to your pet dog or cat. If you share your home with a furry friend, be sure you know which plants to bring in the house and which to leave outside.

Common houseplants that are dangerous to pets

1. Lilies. All types of lilies are toxic to cats and dogs. This includes day lilies, calla lilies and Easter lilies. Ingesting even a small amount amount of these plants can cause severe kidney damage.

2. Tulips and daffodils. Common spring-blooming flowers like tulips and daffodils can also be hazardous to your pet. Ingesting these plants can cause everything from gastrointestinal distress to breathing difficulties.

3. Amaryllis. Amaryllis bulbs are popular holiday plants and gifts, but they are best avoided by pet owners. These plants contain toxins that can cause tremors, vomiting and abdominal pain, according to the ASPCA.

4. English ivy. English ivy may look innocuous, but this plant can cause severe abdominal distress and vomiting if your cat or dog takes a nibble of it.

5. Chrysanthemums. This favorite autumn plant is also best kept away from your pets. Chrysanthemums contain pyrethrins, which can cause diarrhea, drooling and even loss of coordination.

6. Aloe vera. While great for soothing burns on human skin, this succulent plant can cause gastrointestinal distress if eaten by your pet dog or cat.

7. Carnations. They may look lovely in a bouquet, but these common plants can cause abdominal distress and even contact dermatitis if your cat or dog gets a hold of them. Better to keep them in the garden.

8. Holiday plants. Pet owners are best advised to decorate the inside of their homes with silk or other artificial plants. Common seasonal plants like poinsettias, holly, mistletoe and Christmas roses are all toxic to pets, according to the United States Humane Society.

9.Some human food plants. Even some of the plants we eat can be hazardous to pets. Parts of plants like potatoes, rhubarb, apples, mustard and wild radishes can cause a variety of problems if ingested by pets.

If you think that your pet has ingested part of a toxic plant, despite your best efforts, it's time to take your dog or cat to the emergency animal hospital. Prompt veterinary attention can help improve the odds of preventing any serious damage.